- 1 Why won’t my car start after replacing the battery?
- 2 What happens if I disconnect my BMW battery?
- 3 What can cause a BMW to not start?
- 4 Will disconnecting car battery harm computer?
- 5 When your car won’t start but all the lights come on?
- 6 What does it mean when your car won’t start and it just clicks?
- 7 How do I reset my BMW battery?
- 8 Can I replace BMW battery myself?
- 9 What fuse will cause a car not to start?
- 10 What are the symptoms of a bad ignition relay?
- 11 How long do I leave battery disconnected to reset ECU?
- 12 Is it OK to just disconnect the negative terminal?
- 13 Why would a car’s computer need to be reprogrammed?
Why won’t my car start after replacing the battery?
Fuses and Ignition Switch
Another reason as to why your car might not start after having a new battery installed is due to faulty fuses and ignition switches. If the battery and the alternator are working correctly, then you might want to check for a blown fuse or a faulty ignition switch.
What happens if I disconnect my BMW battery?
yes, its perfectly fine to disconnect your battery for 10 mini have done it for much longer than that when im changing out my steering wheel etc JUST MAKE SURE you DO NOT close the trunk while the battery is disconnected or you will not be able to open it to reconnect the battery and your basically screwed
What can cause a BMW to not start?
A BMW may not start for various reasons.
- Weak fuel pump.
- Engine temperature sensor / PCM Coolant Sensor.
- Worn spark plugs.
- Bad ignition coil.
- Defective starter.
- Electrical issues.
- Damaged key.
- Weak key fob battery.
Will disconnecting car battery harm computer?
Disconnecting your car battery will not cause any permanent damage to your computer or ECU (electronic control unit), but it can have some adverse effects. Those include canceling your preset radio stations, forgetting learned shift points, and your car’s ideal fuel/air mixture.
When your car won’t start but all the lights come on?
This is usually due to battery failure, poor connections, damaged battery terminals, or a dead battery. Another sign of your “car won’t start, but lights come on” issue is that you have to jiggle the key to start the car. This shows you have a bad ignition switch, and the solenoid is not being activated.
What does it mean when your car won’t start and it just clicks?
It might be a battery or alternator problem.
A rapid clicking noise when trying to start your car could mean there’s something wrong within the electrical system. Perhaps your battery’s dead, or your alternator, which charges the battery, isn’t working correctly. You may need to replace your alternator or battery.
How do I reset my BMW battery?
How to Reset BMW Computer After Battery Change
- First of all, turn the ignition key of the BMW car to the accessory position once the lights and radio are on. You have to do this before starting the vehicle.
- Again, press the “Trip” button and hold until Reset appears.
- Then, press the same button for the third time. Now, the BMW computer will reset in no time.
Can I replace BMW battery myself?
You can still change a BMW battery yourself, do it right, and still save money. Replacing the battery yourself is very easy and straightforward, especially if you install a new battery with the same specs as the original.
What fuse will cause a car not to start?
What fuse causes a car not to start? A blown fuse in the starter circuit could be the cause of a no–start problem. Broken or corroded wiring – Damaged or dirty wires to the battery or to the starter solenoid (or wires that are loose) can prevent sufficient power from reaching the starter.
What are the symptoms of a bad ignition relay?
5 Symptoms of a Bad Ignition Relay
- Ignition is unresponsive.
- Engine stalls.
- Fluctuating Ignition power.
- Dead car battery after night.
- Bad electronic smell.
How long do I leave battery disconnected to reset ECU?
How to Disconnect a Car Battery to Reset the Computer
- Clean any corrosion off of the battery and terminals with a can of spray-on battery cleaner.
- Hold the positive and negative cable ends together so they’re touching each other but not the battery.
- Wait five minutes for the diagnostic information to be erased.
Is it OK to just disconnect the negative terminal?
Disconnect the negative terminal. That way, you don’t risk a catastrophic short-circuit if you accidentally touch your spanner against the bodywork or a metal component whilst you’re removing the positive terminal. Disconnecting the neg terminal will be just as effective a method of isolating the battery.
Why would a car’s computer need to be reprogrammed?
Reprogramming can improve spark plug timing and fuel enrichment—and can help boost pressure on turbocharged engines to squeeze out every last drop of horsepower. Reprogramming your ECM is necessary for keeping your vehicle control software up to date.