- 1 How do I know if my BMW water pump is bad?
- 2 How much does it cost to replace BMW water pump?
- 3 Why do BMW Water Pumps Fail?
- 4 How long does a BMW water pump last?
- 5 What are signs of bad water pump?
- 6 When should I replace my BMW water pump?
- 7 Can I drive my car with a bad water pump?
- 8 How long does it take to replace water pump?
- 9 How much does it cost to fix car water pump?
- 10 What noise does a failing water pump make?
- 11 How do water pumps fail?
- 12 How much is a water pump for a BMW X5?
- 13 What do you do when a BMW overheats?
- 14 How long does a BMW 328i battery last?
How do I know if my BMW water pump is bad?
Here are 5 signals that a BMW water pump failure is imminent:
- Coolant Leaks.
- High-Pitched Whining Sounds.
- Overheating Engine.
- Steam Coming from the Radiator.
- Your BMW Is Getting Up There in Miles.
How much does it cost to replace BMW water pump?
The average cost for a BMW 328i water pump replacement is between $649 and $728. Labor costs are estimated between $266 and $336 while parts are priced between $383 and $393. This range does not include taxes and fees, and does not factor in your unique location. Related repairs may also be needed.
Why do BMW Water Pumps Fail?
BMW water pumps in particular can begin to fail near the 80,000-mile mark. The water pump is made of a plastic material, and over time it’s normal for the plastic to begin cracking and corroding. Other issues with water pumps could be due to problems with the bearing or the impeller pieces.
How long does a BMW water pump last?
Not a simple repair, yes, but one, if done correctly, will last another 100,000 miles.
What are signs of bad water pump?
Here are 5 common symptoms of a bad water pump:
- Coolant Leak at the Front-Center of your Car.
- Rust, Deposit Buildup, and Corrosion of the Water Pump.
- Water Pump Pulley is Loose and Making Whining Sounds.
- Engine is Overheating.
- Steam Coming from your Radiator.
When should I replace my BMW water pump?
About Water Pump Replacement
Water pumps are designed to last at least 100,000 miles, however, if your water pump fails, you should replace it with a high-quality original-equipment level unit. Less expensive replacement pumps are available, but they might only have a service life of 30,000 miles.
Can I drive my car with a bad water pump?
However, it not advisable to keep driving a car with a bad water pump because it can lead to overheating which will eventually result in complete damage of your car engine. A car with a bad water pump can start and move but, cannot cover much mileage.
How long does it take to replace water pump?
The range is approximately two to three hours depending on whether your vehicle has power steering and/or air conditioning. It is economical to replace the pump on a mobile basis and you can obtain a repair quote for mobile replacement by referring to YourMechanic’s water pump replacement service page.
How much does it cost to fix car water pump?
According to CostHelper, water pump replacement averages $300 to $750, depending on the make and model and labor costs. The water pump itself may only cost $50 to $100, but labor can run between $200 and $450, depending on the difficulty level of reaching the pump.
What noise does a failing water pump make?
If you hear a high-pitched, whining sound that increases as you accelerate – it could indicate a faulty water pump. These sounds are caused by a loose belt and the belt becomes loose when the pulley is loose or the bearings are wearing out.
How do water pumps fail?
Water pumps can fail prematurely due to corrosion inside the cooling system or from an imbalanced water–pump shaft. But in most instances, water pumps fail because of shaft leaks. Excessive tension on a fan belt or serpentine belt also can overload the water–pump shaft bearings and cause the pump to fail.
How much is a water pump for a BMW X5?
The average cost for a BMW X5 water pump replacement is between $749 and $908. Labor costs are estimated between $338 and $427 while parts are priced between $411 and $481.
What do you do when a BMW overheats?
If your engine is overheating, do the following to cool it down:
- Turn off the air conditioner. Running the A/C puts a heavy load on your engine.
- Turn on the heater. This blows some excess heat from the engine into the car.
- Put your car in neutral or park and then rev the engine.
- Pull over and open the hood.
How long does a BMW 328i battery last?
BMW 328i batteries usually last between 3-5 years, but this is variable depending on weather conditions, the type of battery, driving habits, and more.