- 1 How do I know if my BMW water pump is bad?
- 2 How much does it cost to replace BMW water pump?
- 3 Why do BMW Water Pumps Fail?
- 4 How long can I drive with a bad water pump?
- 5 What are signs of bad water pump?
- 6 When should I replace my BMW water pump?
- 7 How do I know if my water pump or thermostat is bad?
- 8 How do I know if my BMW is overheating?
- 9 Can you drive a car with a bad water pump?
- 10 How many hours does it take to replace a water pump?
- 11 How long does a BMW water pump last?
- 12 What noise does a failing water pump make?
- 13 How do you troubleshoot a water pump?
- 14 How much does it cost to fix car water pump?
How do I know if my BMW water pump is bad?
Here are 5 signals that a BMW water pump failure is imminent:
- Coolant Leaks.
- High-Pitched Whining Sounds.
- Overheating Engine.
- Steam Coming from the Radiator.
- Your BMW Is Getting Up There in Miles.
How much does it cost to replace BMW water pump?
The average cost for a BMW 328i water pump replacement is between $649 and $728. Labor costs are estimated between $266 and $336 while parts are priced between $383 and $393. This range does not include taxes and fees, and does not factor in your unique location. Related repairs may also be needed.
Why do BMW Water Pumps Fail?
BMW water pumps in particular can begin to fail near the 80,000-mile mark. The water pump is made of a plastic material, and over time it’s normal for the plastic to begin cracking and corroding. Other issues with water pumps could be due to problems with the bearing or the impeller pieces.
How long can I drive with a bad water pump?
Water pumps don’t “break” and start leaking; they have things called “weep holes”, so that when the bearings are starting to wear down, it will slowly start to drip, that way you know its time to replace it. If that is all that is happening, you’re fine to drive it for a week or so.
What are signs of bad water pump?
Here are 5 common symptoms of a bad water pump:
- Coolant Leak at the Front-Center of your Car.
- Rust, Deposit Buildup, and Corrosion of the Water Pump.
- Water Pump Pulley is Loose and Making Whining Sounds.
- Engine is Overheating.
- Steam Coming from your Radiator.
When should I replace my BMW water pump?
About Water Pump Replacement
Water pumps are designed to last at least 100,000 miles, however, if your water pump fails, you should replace it with a high-quality original-equipment level unit. Less expensive replacement pumps are available, but they might only have a service life of 30,000 miles.
How do I know if my water pump or thermostat is bad?
Symptoms of a Bad or Failing Thermostat
- Temperature gauge reading very high and engine overheating. The first and potentially most alarming symptom will be the temperature gauge reading high into the red within the first 15 minutes of your vehicle engine running.
- Temperature changing erratically.
- Coolant leaks around the thermostat housing or under the vehicle.
How do I know if my BMW is overheating?
One of the easiest ways to identify an overheating engine is to touch the hood. If it is too hot to touch after 10 seconds, the engine is likely overheating. Another clear indicator of BMW engine overheating is steam escaping from under the hood.
Can you drive a car with a bad water pump?
Since the water pump is damaged, you may notice engine misfiring and other challenges connected to a bad water pump. In short, you can drive a vehicle with a bad water pump. The car will move, but if you fail to repair the pump in time, the engine will completely stall.
How many hours does it take to replace a water pump?
On average, water pump replacement is a 3 hour job. You may pay less if you buy the pump yourself and give it to the mechanic to install, though use caution and make sure to buy the parts from a reputable source. Make and model of vehicle can have a significant effect on total cost.
How long does a BMW water pump last?
Not a simple repair, yes, but one, if done correctly, will last another 100,000 miles.
What noise does a failing water pump make?
If you hear a high-pitched, whining sound that increases as you accelerate – it could indicate a faulty water pump. These sounds are caused by a loose belt and the belt becomes loose when the pulley is loose or the bearings are wearing out.
How do you troubleshoot a water pump?
Well Pump Will Not Start or Pump Will Not Run
- Check for a tripped circuit breaker or blown fuse.
- Check for low voltage.
- Check for broken or disconnected electrical wires.
- Check for a defective motor.
- Check for a jammed or broken impeller assembly.
- Check that the pressure switch is closed and sending power to the pump.
How much does it cost to fix car water pump?
According to CostHelper, water pump replacement averages $300 to $750, depending on the make and model and labor costs. The water pump itself may only cost $50 to $100, but labor can run between $200 and $450, depending on the difficulty level of reaching the pump.